Tuesday, May 26, 2009

First Day of Work

Last night, I kept on waking up and was very nervous. I did not get much sleep at all. It also didn't help that I got the first night jitters. Every time I change a location, it takes me a while to settle down and be more relaxed and comfortable. In addition, the weather here is now cold and rainy! I did not pack very many warm work coats because I remembered last year it was so hot and humid!

I woke up at 6:30AM, and got ready by wearing flip flops, a ripped t-shirt, baseball hat, and shorts. Just kidding! This place is very formal, but I did notice some other summer hires wearing casual street wear. One ready, I drove to work, following the instructions on the GPS. There wasn't much traffic, but the road was very hilly and windy. I had to drive through the downtown of Dover to get to the highway entrance, when I looked that the road was blocked!!! What should I do when the GPS keeps on saying to go that way? I made a loop around and quickly found my work and the visitor's center.

At the visitor's center, there was a long line of summer hires, and their parents. I didn't have any parents with me but I received my car pass and badge very quickly. Once at the HR building, all the new hires sat in the conference room. The staff called us up one by one to fix our forms and made us take an oath. I was official!

I wasn't sure where the building I was supposed to go to, and I didn't want to stand around at the front gate until someone let me in, so I asked for a member of my group to pick me up! At the building, the first thing I noticed was the remodeling which took place since last year. There was fresh paint, luxurious carpet, wood furniture/cubicles. The conference room had 5 humongous big screen TVs, comfortable leather chairs, and a granite table. No recession here!

I was given a new 2-screen computer, but it will be about a week before I get my pass to log on or use the internet. However, I had my very on cubicle and don't have to share a cubicle! I'm glad they didn't place me in the basement or the very back, or else I would be forgotten! Although I remember about half of the team from last year, there were just as many new faces.

It looks like I have a lot of work assigned already, and they expect me to learn a new program in a week as well as tackle many problems. Until I get my computer card, I will probably be reading a lot and going to the orientation meetings. I would talk about what I'm doing but my boss strictly said that everything was under a confidentiality agreement! I may one day talk about it when I am retired and writing my memoirs.

Lastly, I may be able to spend time outside of the computer lab and see the test site! Also, I may be able to go on a business trip to California... maybe I could visit home! I will work hard on getting the tasks done, my master's project done, and hopefully make some new friends.

After work, I followed the GPS to Rockaway Mall, where there is a ridiculously expensive chain store called ACME. I picked out oatmeal, some meat, rice, bread, vegetables, and fruit - it was $50!!! I am going to have to find another grocery store to go to. However, the cheaper the store, I will probably have to find street parking and parallel park! (I don't know how to do that!) I also heard there was a Japanese grocery store in Morristown so I can get some of my favorites such as curry mix and mochi!

At the store, I picked up two chicken thighs for 85 cents. WOW! Good deal right? It was that or pay $10 for chicken strips. Since I was taking a gamble, I cooked it at least for 25 minutes and I am happy at least I got a good deal on that.

Anyway, its all rainy and gloomy today. I am super exhausted from not sleeping last night and putting in a full day of work. Tomorrow I will talk about where I live, and the four cats!

5 comments:

  1. Now you know what I mean when I said that we need to have "budget cut".
    Have a good night sleep. You are in our prayer everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Joyce

    Aunt really enjoyed reading your first day work. I have confidence on you and sure you will doing well. I am going to New York next week and wish could visit you but I know probably too busy for both of us. I miss you so much.

    Iris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Joyce,

    You will be fine. I believe you will have fun this summer over there and meet more friends.
    We will all miss you. Take care.

    JoMa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joyce

    Do you have an e-mail address?

    My e-mail address GoVolvo@verizon.net

    Trust your first two weeks of work went well.

    Uncle Bill

    ReplyDelete