Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My Everyday Commute

I know I was supposed to write about my house and the cats, but I am feeling like I have got a cold so there is going to be a substitute topic, my everyday commute! On the GPS, it is only about 8 miles away from my house to my work, but there is no direct route. I spend about 25 minutes winding through the hills, by the lakes, and take mostly back routes, also through the downtown of Dover, all the way to work. On some parts, it is only one car only. I also drive through quiet streets that have mega McMansions. Lastly, the roads are very raggedy, riddled with potholes which makes for a very bumpy ride.

In the morning and after work, there is a lot of traffic. It is very strange to see congestion in the mountain roads. Also, since I live on a hill, it is much cooler here than below the hill. This morning, the car thermometer was registering 47 degrees!! I was also very cold yesterday and wore double layer everything as well as had three blankets on during the night.

Hopefully I can do some exploring this weekend. I need to finish my master's project, and take care of errands (bah!) because it seems like whatever time I have after work never seems to be enough. I will try and find a church to go to as well, and maybe find a Bible study group! Also, if I am feeling better I want to find a park to take a walk in!

It was fairly exciting today at work, even though I was just daydreaming about sleeping and good food. It's hard to adjust from the student life, where I wake up whenever I want, take naps all the time, to the work schedule. I have to wake up around 6:30AM to make sure I have enough time for commute, time to look put together, and to cook a filling breakfast. Hopefully I can find enough time to write more in my blog and finish my thesis project!

My second day of work was pretty exciting. I was running experiments, going to meetings, meeting more people, and getting some more orientation training. It looks like I have one 3-day class to take on the topic, as well as a possible business trip (or two)! Also, I may be given the chance to shadow some people in other departments and labs, to see what they are up to. It's always great to understand the work I am doing by comparing it to the actual experiments done, and maybe how far it deviates from what I expect it to be! Kind of like my cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment