Wednesday, March 17, 2010

3 Day Weekends

Over the weekend, I met up with a nursing student from the University of New Mexico, whose name is Camille. We met from the Sagebrush Life Groups, or Bible study and I stopped by for a quick jog around the campus. Like all college campuses, there was a lack of parking, and plenty of metered spots around a run down neighborhood. The campus is incredible nice and spacious, with many buildings done with the pueblo style.

We ran past the hospital, and started the loop around the golf course located at the north end of campus. However, I became quickly out of breath and found it difficult to keep up.

On Tuesday, I met up with Natalie, the wife of one of the newly hired engineers who had the same start date as me, and we went hiking on the foothills of the Sandia mountain range. The trails meandered wildly, and it was very difficult for us to find a way up the mountain. For the two routes that we tried, one started following a trickling stream, which was incredibly slippery and muddy. The other route led us to a bunch of boulders.



Since we felt we couldn't go any further, we enjoyed our packed lunches and the view of Albuquerque. I was startled when I heard a rustle in the bushes, and looked to see that it was a happy dog jumping down the boulders, with his owner quickly following. He said that in order to climb the mountain, you needed to be creative and just start climbing the rocks.

I am enjoying my 3 or 4 day weekends, but I know that it won't be lasting for long. Everyday I am excited as to what I will be learning next, making the 12 hour days go by quickly.

1 comment:

  1. Good morning Joyce,
    I am surprised that you are able to get in some hiking while you are so busy with your new job.
    I am also glad to hear that you have taken your sewing machine with you.
    I don't know how you will have time to hike and sew and learn all that you have to at this time but I am so very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete