Monday, June 1, 2009

My Four Catty Roommates

I've been warned, that there are many critters, although cute, you most likely don't want to encounter them. For example, today there was a deer just strolling through the middle of the street, ignoring everyone and the neighbor's dogs which were going berserk. At dawn and dusk, skunks, raccoons, foxes, bears, and maybe coyotes like to come out! I hope I won't encounter one!

I've been running near Shongum Lake, which is about a 300 foot elevation difference. It's downhill starting out, and right at the end of my run I have to climb this killer hill. I've been running about 4 miles in the afternoon, right after work, and it is very pleasant. Although the entire route is just paved concrete with houses, there is a lot of shade and not too much traffic.

SO, I am going to dedicate the rest of this entry to my FOUR cat-mates.

#1) The Too-Friendly Cat
When I moved in, it was Cody who greeted me first, and then proceeded to take a spot on my bed, insisting that I take the floor. When he figured out he wasn't welcome, he devised a trick to sprint to my room as I was opening the door and claim the bed before I got there. When I am on my laptop, he likes to step all over the keyboard and type gibberish. When I am cooking, he jumps onto the kitchen counter top and tries to smell everything. He loooooves attention and always tried to get me to rub his belly or his back.

#2) The Sweet Cuddly Cat
Gabriel, or Gaby, is a big fluffy cat full of love, who 'meows' at you and asks for attention. He takes his time getting around, and is usually left up to his own devices. He always seems to be the last involved in any action, and likes to spend a lot of time napping in the sun.




#3) The Awkward, Shy Cat

Connor, is a black and white cat, and usually found hiding under a chair, near you, but hiding. If you walk by him, he tries to get as far away from you as possible, like I was carrying a bucket of water or something (I'm not!). His facial expression makes him look perpetually surprised. If I leave my door open, he run straight underneath the wicker chair and hangs out there.



#4) Mystery Cat - ???

I heard, there was a fourth cat.. but I've never seen her. She is about 17 cat years old, and a retired cat. Maybe I will get a glimpse of the last cat soon.

Anyway, I haven't been talking to the cats like they are people yet, or letting them sit on my shoulder or sleep in my bed. Now that I have lived with cats, and been around dogs, I have been trying to think of the pros and cons of each kind, and declare the best kind of pet. I think I have a good chance of not being a crazy cat lady with 70 cats in the future.

1 comment: