Saturday, June 27, 2009

Qdoba

When I first came to New Jersey, my co-workers were raving about how great Qdoba was. Was it a sit in restaurant? A regular Mexican fast food joint like Taco Bell? After work on Friday, I went to try it out. It was on the interstate, which was separated by Jersey curbs, which meant I had to take a jug handle turn to get there. "Jug Handles" are these turns that are specifically built for people wanting to U-turn on the highway, and are unique to New Jersey. I must have passed by the jug handle at least 5 times before figuring out how it worked, so its kind of confusing because it isn't well marked.

When I first entered Qdoba, a nice aroma of salsa, and spicy meat greeted me. What striked me immediately was how Qdoba looks so much like Chipotle, in the set up, style, and even menu! They had the usual of burrito, rice bowl, and chips. Instead of pushing guacamole, they had a 4-cheese dip with their chips. The burrito I ordered was pretty good, but I feel Chipotle is the true pioneer in making buttery yummy rice with hint of lime, juicy seasoned chicken and steak, great salsa, and the amazing guacamole. I'm pretty sure Qdoba is a copy of Chipotle, just like Burger King copied McDonald's.. and so on.

It was sunny when I walked in Qdoba, but as I left it, a cold wind, and leaf fragments overwhelmed me. I looked at the sky, and it was dark and covered in clouds swirling quickly. A flash of light in the distance warned me of what was about to come, so I ran to the car with my burrito in hand. As soon as I closed the door, a down pour of rain fell, accompanied by more rain and thunder. Phew!

1 comment: